Safety is a top concern for everyone from first-time occupants to multi-year Residents. Your apartment is your refuge, an area where you can feel protected and comfortable. Sustaining that sense of security is important to the welfare of your family or roommates and even your four-legged companions. Initiating appropriate habits and making a few changes to your home will help keep you away from dangerous situations. All you have to do is follow these easy suggestions for securing your apartment in Indianapolis.
Always Practice Safe Habits
Your apartment complex already has some security features set up to help keep tenants away from harm, but you have to use them correctly! Be sure to close all gates and doors behind you, particularly if it is only used with a card, key, or passcode from a Resident, like an exercise room or pool. If your property features a buzzer system or passcodes at entrances, use them only for your own guests. Allowing in someone you don’t know may lead to a potentially risky situation for you and other Residents!
On the topic of your neighbors, they are important in securing your apartment in Indianapolis. Get to know your people in your building and determine which units they live in. Having this knowledge helps you discern if any shady people are loitering about. Your fellow Residents could also be the first people to respond should an incident occur. In the end, safety is a team effort!
Components to Secure Your Apartment in Indianapolis
Security tools are key to securing your apartment. Here are some common and effective devices and how to use them:
- Door locks: Your entry points are equipped with locks - don’t forget about them! Invaders try to find the path of least resistance. Remembering to lock your doors and windows at night and before you leave is often all it takes to discourage the opportunistic prowler.
- Security bar: A sliding rear entry can be a likely attack point. Placing a security bar in the track to prevent it from moving makes it almost impossible for entry.
- Surveillance: Your community might have security cameras installed to safeguard Residents, but installing your own can be smart. Put them around entryways like your sliding rear door or overlooking a primary hallway in the unit to maintain a watchful eye.
- Automated lights: An easy method for securing your apartment in Indianapolis is to incorporate lights that will make potential criminals suspect you’re in the apartment. Smart lights that have the ability to be programmed to illuminate at certain hours or controlled with a smartphone app can make it seem like folks are inside.
- Curtains: As simple as it sounds, minimizing sightlines into your unit keeps your valuables away from curious onlookers and keeps criminals speculating if you’re present or not.
Having The Lock Rekeyed Is A Wise Move
Before you move in, it’s a good idea to ask if the main entry lock has been replaced or rekeyed. Getting updated locks is wise to make sure the prior tenant can’t get into your new apartment. If it has not been rekeyed, this is something that the property management should handle for you.
Renters Insurance Is Essential
Regardless of whether you follow all of these suggestions on how to secure your apartment in Indianapolis, tenant insurance is still a smart safeguard to have. Your provider will back you up and assist you in replacing your lost items should the unforeseen take place. Protect yourself with a renters insurance plan.
Would You Like To Select Your New Place In Indianapolis?
Now that you have a better idea of how to secure your apartment in Indianapolis, it’s time to find your new home at StoneBridge Luxury Apartment Homes. We have roomy units, courteous team members, and the desired amenities you are looking for. Contact us at or schedule a tour to start the process.