How To Rent An Apartment In Indianapolis
Are you getting ready to rent your first apartment? Or maybe it’s been many years since you rented one, and now you’re starting the process again. Here are a few suggestions on how to rent an apartment in Indianapolis, from figuring out your budget to picking the right apartment and completing the application.
What Is Your Budget?
Your first task is to figure out what you can pay. You wouldn’t want to go crazy about a place only to realize it’s well beyond your range. Think about your finances prior to taking a tour of that fantastic two-bedroom with a nature view. Here’s some advice to help you get started.
- Take note of your net income - what’s left after taxes - and deduct your existing bills (credit cards, loan payments, etc.).
- Anticipate unpredicted costs like car repairs and urgent healthcare. Generally speaking, add 10 percent to your current bill amount.
- Estimate costs at your new unit, such as groceries and utilities. If you need a place to start, designate $250 per month for both.
- How commonly do you go out? Estimate your expected entertainment and dining expenses per month.
- What do you have remaining? This amount is what you can put toward rent. Now is the time to figure out if you should consider a roommate.
Picking The Ideal Apartment In Indianapolis
Checking out different properties and floor plans can be enjoyable but also time-consuming. Make sure you give yourself enough time to look - at least two or three months. Your opening step is to decide on which area you want to live in. How close do you wish to be to your office or school? Are you looking downtown or in the suburbs? Is there entertainment and shopping close by? Determining an exact location will will be of great benefit.
You probably have a good idea of how many bedrooms you’ll require, so you can focus on finding your preferred floor plan. At the same time, you need to decide what amenities you would like. Is a gym or swimming pool mandatory? Do you have to have a community that allows animals? Making these decisions will narrow down the possibilities.
What To Expect In The Application Process
Once you’ve picked out an apartment, you need to finish the application process. You’ll need to come prepared with proper identification, proof of income, and a list of references. You’ll generally be charged an application fee to offset the cost of background and credit checks. If you plan on using a co-signer, inform the leasing agent before getting too far along, as they may not be allowed.
The application process will generally consist of the following:
- Pay an application fee
- Complete an application form
- Expect background and credit checks
- Sign the lease
When completing the application, you can anticipate providing this information:
- Name, phone number, email, and present address
- Occupation and salary
- Prior address(es)
- Dogs or other pets (if applicable)
- Contacts in case of emergency
- References - you might be asked for previous landlords or work and personal references
Find The Right Apartment At StoneBridge Luxury Apartment Homes
Renting an apartment in Indianapolis isn’t hard to do at StoneBridge Luxury Apartment Homes. We have a wide choice of floor plans and amenities to fit your lifestyle. Arrange a tour to discover our community or reach out to 317-743-2959 to talk with one of our helpful leasing agents about how to rent one of our apartments in Indianapolis.